Director Writer Producer
Biray Dalkıran was born in 1976 in İstanbul. He completed his graduate and undergraduate education at Beykent University Cinema and Television department. Then he received PhD at Marmara University Radio and Television department. In 2003 and 2004 he gave feature, television and commercial lessons in at Istanbul University Communications department and also gave director lessons at BSF Academy. During his student years, he joined to many film festivals (like Golden Orange, San Fransisco, Ziff 2001, Afo, Avşa, Ankara, etc…) and won awards with his short films.
He has directed eight feature films so far. First of them was horror movie “Araf” (Abortion). It has earned a considerable box office success in Turkey. American movie company “Path Finder Pictures” bought distribution rights of this movie and sold it to America and world as “The Abortion”. That was the first Turkish horror movie distributed in world. “Araf” (Abortion) was also the first horror movie accepted to Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival competition section.
Second one “Cennet” (Heaven); screened at many film festivals in Hungary, China, America, Italy, Israel and Turkey and won awards. It acclaimed with its fairytale narration and visual effects. Third feature film “Cehennem 3D” (Hell 3D) was a horror-thriller and it was the first 3D movie of Turkey. With this movie, Turkey became one of 10 countries which can make 3D movies. In 2012, he has directed a comedy movie “Bana Bir Soygun Yaz” (Write Me A Robbery).
In 2014, he has directed three romantic movies called “Peri Masalı” (Fairy Tale), “Meleklerin Mucizesi” (Miracle Of Angels) and “Seni Seviyorum Adamım” (I Love You Man). He was the writer, director, producer and cinematographer of the movie “Peri Masalı”. Thus he became the youngest director of Turkey who can make four of them at the same time. In 2018, “Peri Masalı” (Fairy Tale), has been selected as one of the “Best Turkish Love Films of 2000s” by the web site Sinemalar.com.
In 2015, he has directed one of the funniest movie of the year “Eski Sevgiliyi Unutmanın 10 Yolu” (10 Ways To Forget Ex Love). All the actors starring in his movies became “celebrity”. That shows how he is successfull in casting and directing.
In years 2017 and 2018, Biray Dalkıran lived in Los Angeles in USA. He directed a horror movie callled “The Crossbreed” with all American actors and actresses there. The movie gets awards from every international film festivals it entered. North America rights of the film is bought by Breaking Glass Pictures. After the Turkey release, movie released on DVD and VOD on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, PlayStation, Xbox, Vudu and other digital platforms worldwide.
Biray Dalkıran came to Turkey in 2018. He has also added distributorship alongside his director, producer and screenwriter identities. He’s made a partnership with MC Film and released “Antisocial 2” in Turkey firstly.
In the beginning of 2018, he has started shooting the movie “Araf 2”
Beside his feature film works he has directed several tv series. In 2008, he has directed the episodes 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 of action and drama series “Gazi” (Ghazi). The shootings of the action plans was praised in many websites. Between 2010 and 2013, he has directed criminal series “Kanıt” (Evidence); which was ended at 100th episode.
He has also directed the documentary about Mustafa Kemal Atatürk’s last dance before his death, titled “Son Balo: Vals ve Zeybek” (The Last Dance: Valtz and Zeybek). It has screened in many festivals around the world. At the first day of published in internet, more than 200.000 viewers watched thisdocumentary. Because of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk’s real goods has been used in shooting, it is still the Turkey’s highest insurance priced project.
He has directed Turkey’s official police song “Polis Yanındadır”s music video which thousands of real polices joined shooting. He also directed the opening documentary of Turkey’s state tv channel “TRT 1 HD”.
Turkey’s most popular musicians’ most watched music videos, major brands’ commercials, most liked feature films, proud needed documentaries and rating records holder television series; bears his signature.
* Altın Portakal (Golden Orange)
* Avşa Internatşonal Film Festival Best Short Film Award
* Son Balo Vals ve Zeybek Documentary Award
* Evos Angels Best Director Award
* Gelişim University Special Screening
* Mustafa Kemal University Special Screening
* İstanbul Ticaret University Special Screening
* Film and Acting Conference Special Screening
* Bodrum Turkish Movies Week Special Screening
* Çayda Çıra Film and Culture Festival Special Screening
* Çanakkale Short Film Festival Special Screening
* Nürnberg Film Festival Special Screening (Seni Seviyorum Adamım)
* Sofya Film Festival Special Screening (Seni Seviyorum Adamım)
* Antakya Film Festival Special Screening (Meleklerin Mucizesi)
* Münih Film Festival Special Screening (Cennet)
* Düzce Film Festival Best Director Award
* Zift 2001 Short Film Festival Award
* Turkey’s Top 10 Music Video Award
* Independent Horror Movie Awards 2017 – Best Actress Award (The Crossbreed)
* Independent Horror Movie Awards 2017 – Best Feature, Best Writing, Best Music & Best Twist Nominee (The Crossbreed)
* Accolade Global Film Competition – Award of Merit (The Crossbreed)
* Los Angeles Film Awards 2017 – Best Thriller & Best Actress Award (The Crossbreed)
* Los Angeles Film Awards 2017 – Best Picture Nominee (The Crossbreed)
* Darphanga International Film Festival 2018 – Official Selection (The Crossbreed)
9. International İzmir Short Film Festivali, National Documentary Finalist, 2008.
6. Pam Short Film Festival, Competition Film, 2008.
ODTÜ Short Film Festival, Competition Film, 2008.
6. Ankara Film Festival, National Short Film, Experimental. (Screening)
San-Fransisco Film Festival (Special Screening)
Avşa Film Festival Best Short Film.
23. İFSAK National Short Film Competition (Screening)
Czechoslovakia AFO Film Festivali, 2002 (Screening)